What I Want To Read This Summer

I am known for being a fast reader and I used to be such a bookworm, however in recent years, I haven't read as many books and the list of books I have been planning to read has just got bigger and bigger! However, this summer I'm tackling this list of eight books!



The Books

Poldark (Books 1 &2) - Winston Graham
Aidan Turner. I could go on for years about how much I am attracted to this man! He was a sexy vampire in Being Human, a sexy dwarf in The Hobbit and now, a sexy Englishman in Poldark! I mean, look at his smoldering looks on the cover! I loved the new BBC adaption of Poldark and for my 20th birthday, my mum bought me the first two books of Graham's iconic series about Cornwall on which the first series was inspired by. I am currently reading the first book (Ross Poldark) and since I have seen the series already, it has actually made the book easier to read, especially with all the Cornish phrases.

The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald
I know a lot of people have studied this text at school and I didn't and I feel like it then slipped through the net and I never got around to reading it! However, since the film adaption with Leonardo DiCaprio has come out, I want to read it properly as I want to read it before I watch the film!

The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath
I studied the poetry of Ted Hughes during my English Literature AS course at sixth form. Whilst learning about Hughes, we also learnt about his wife Sylvia Plath who committed suicide in 1963. This novel is supposedly about her life and her relationship with Hughes, which was turbulent to say the least.

The End - Ian Kershaw
As some of you may know from reading my previous posts, I study Modern History at university and my favourite area of study is German history. Kershaw is in my opinion, one of the best historians on Nazi Germany and if you are studying Nazi Germany in any field of education above GCSEs, Kershaw is a must-read author! This is his latest book and it focuses on the German people kept fighting towards the end of the Second World War even though they knew the war was lost.

Dominion - C. J. Sansom
C. J. Sansom is a brilliant historical fiction writer and the premise of this book alone made me excited to read it. Dominion is about Britain in the 1950s, in a world where Chamberlain's government surrendered to Hitler and Britain is now part of the Nazi Empire. My favourite part is that Winston Churchill is the leader of the resistance movement! For anyone interested in the history of the Second World War, I think this will be a great read wondering what could have happened if the war went a different way!

HHhH - Laurent Binet
This is another historical fiction book about Nazi Germany, specifically about the assassination of Reinhard Heydrich. Now, I believe this is a mixture of fiction and non-fiction so I am interested to see how Binet has written it.

1984 - George Orwell
After reading Animal Farm years ago, I was always keen to read more of Orwell's books. I also have a Penguin (the publishers) mug with 1984 on it, and since I got that, I am more determined to finish it. This book is argubaly the inspiration for Big Brother, with that being a name of the government in the book. I do not know much else about the book but I am looking forward to reading it!

So, it looks like I'm going to have a busy summer! What books are you currently reading?

Ellyn xx

Check out my last post here!
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig