The Quest For The Perfect Purple Lipstick

Purple has always been my favourite colour. I have purple walls, purple duvet, purple sheets, purple blankets - I really love purple. I also really love lipstick. There have been many makeup trends throughout the years that I have tried and some worked and some did not. However, one lipstick trend that I am determined to master is purple lipsticks! I love purple, I love lipsticks so why not mix them together! Unfortunately, it has been really difficult to find a purple lipstick that I love and looks good too. However, I refuse to give up and one day it will happen! Today I thought I would talk about what purple lipsticks and tones that I have tried and my thoughts on them!


The two main shades of purple lipstick that I own are red-based purples and blue-based purples. My red-based purples both belong in the plum/wine range and the others are more within the violet shade of purple, both light and dark. I find that these tend to be the most widely available shades of purple lipsticks whilst some more higher-end makeup artist brands like M.A.C do carry some lilac shades.

My first dip into the land of purple lipsticks were with the red-based purples. I started with the Rimmel Moisture Renew lipstick in Glam Plum Fulham. I also have the Rimmel Lasting Finish By Kate lipstick in 106. I think shades like these are a perfect start to finding your perfect shade of purple. I did wear Glam Plum Fulham a lot when I first bought it and it is a really beautiful lipstick but I find that I don't really wear this shade anymore, even when I want to wear purple. I can't remember why I bought the Kate lipstick, I think it might have been one of the impulse purchases I get sometimes with lipsticks.

Blue-based purples are definitely harder to wear and remind me of colourful editorial spreads in fashion magazines. Yet, these are the shades that I want to wear the most! I think it is because these shades are more of a 'true' purple than red-based. Now I am not sure if it is my skin-tone or the colour of my hair but I never find that it looks as good as other shades. I love putting it on and would love to wear it outside but I don't really have the confidence in believing that it might look ok. I have found that the darker it is, the more wearable I feel it is on me. At the moment, that this is the Topshop lipstick in Inhibition. This shade is also not as blue as my other Topshop purple lipstick in Straight Ace. The Revlon Colorburst Matte Balm in Shameless in terms of shade colour is inbetween the two Topshop lipsticks. I spent months trying to find this, went to hundreds of different Boots and Superdrugs to own this. I have never worn it outside of the house.

I think a lot of my trouble with purple lipstick is confidence. Last year I bought Antique Velvet lipstick and Chesnut lip-liner from M.A.C and I love wearing it. It is darker and can look almost black on my lips and yet I have the confidence to wear it but never with purple? I will still continue to try and wear purple lipstick but I think it will still take a bit more of a confidence boost to wear it outside.

Are there any shades of lipstick that you really want to wear but never have the confidence to? Also if you have any advice I would love to hear it!

Ellyn xx


Check out my last post here!

SHARE:

1 comment

  1. Purple is my favourite colour too! I've never tried any of the ones you've mentioned up there, but will look into them. You should totally do swatches next time, will deffo help people reading x

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig