Make-Up Must Haves: Lip Liners

Lips are my favourite part of my make-up routine as it can really change up the look that you are going for. Before I put on any shade of lip colour, I always have to start with lining my lips. Lip liners are great for both shaping the lips but also helping your lip colour last, especially if you are going somewhere where you might eat or drink, or if you know you will be out for a long time. At the moment I have five lip liners that I am using for the various shades of lip colours. I really love all these liners so I thought I would write about why I love them to recommend them to my readers.

Life Of A Beauty Nerd - Make-Up Must Haves Lip Liners
M.A.C Cosmetics Lip Pencil in Whirl
For me, Whirl lip pencil is the perfect 'My Lips But Better' shade of lip liner. It works as a great base for many lip colours, not only nude shades but can also be worn under bolder colours like reds. I will say that on its own, it does not have the greatest longevity but under lip colours, it does a great job of keeping the colour on for a long time.

M.A.C Cosmetices Lip Pencil in Stone
I went through a stage of being obsessed with wanting to find Stone lip pencil - warning, do not watch Jess from sunbeamsjess if you do not want to get hooked on certain lipsticks. Stone is the only lip liner that I do not really use under other lip colours, although I have been wanting Stone lipstick for a while so maybe then. This is also the only one where I need to blend some concealer or foundation over my lips prior to help with the pigmentation. I do find that out of the three M.A.C liners that I own currently, it has the hardest texture but that does not mean that it is too difficult to use overall.

M.A.C Cosmetics Lip Pencil in Chestnut
This was another lip liner that I bought because of Jess. She wore Chestnut with M.A.C Styled in Sepia lipstick in this video and I fell in love. For a long time now, I have been embracing and loving darker lipstick looks and this combination was the dream. Chestnut lip pencil is very similar in texture to the lip liner below but that if you have a light skin-tone, does mean you do have to be careful as it is very pigmented - but I believe this would be an amazing choice for a nude lip option for darker skin tones.

Rimmel London Exaggerate Full Colour Lip Liner in Eastend Snob
I have been using this lip liner for so long. I first discovered it after Lily from Lily Melrose talked about it in one of her videos. It is lighter than Whirl and is more of a chalky-pink colour. Now as it is more of a pink colour, I do not tend to wear this on its own very often but it works as a great base for many of my more pink lipsticks. Out of all of the lip liners in this post, I would say that this has the best lasting power. It is also the cheapest at £3.99 and Rimmel is often part of many offers in the drugstore.

NYX Retractable Lip Liner in Cocoa
A while ago, I needed a new black eyeliner and I ended up accidentally buying the black shade of the Retractable Lip Liner and did not notice until a few months later. However, that does work really well as an eyeliner so when I needed to purchase a new lighter brown lip liner, I thought I would give the Retractable Lip Liner a go in its proper use. It was also the only lip liner that I could find that was not too red-toned or too dark. It works great! It has a nice creamy formula which makes it super easy to apply but dries quickly to a matte finish that lasts really well, even if you do not put a lip colour on top. It is also only £6 which is a bargain!

So these are my lip liners that I currently have in my make-up collection. I am on the look-out though for a red lip pencil, and a purple lip pencil so if you have any recommendations that are not from the lines above, please let me know as I would be interested in trying other lip liners before retreating to my old faves!

Ellyn xx


Check out my last post here!
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig